Monday 1 July 2013

Book Review - The Good Father - Noah Hawley

"Dr Paul Allen is a happy, respected family man. All that's about to change.
When he opens the door to the news that his son has killed the next President of the USA
Did he do it? Why would he? And what now?


On Saturday I had a me day and decided to go the library and pick up some new books to read. I have always loved reading and will pretty much read anything (planning on doing a post of a few of my fave books soon, look out for it). I picked up 5 books and thought I would start with this one.

This tells the journey of Dr Paul Allen as he comes to terms with possibility that his son could be a cold blooded murderer and the role that he as a father might have played in this. It explores themes of love in a paternal/maternal sense, whether you really know those who you love and how far you would go to prove that love to your child, those around you and yourself. Of course I cried, I cry at most books, I get really involved, but this book made it very easy to get involved. Told from the point of view of the father for the most part with interjections from the past of his son's memories you follow the path to the truth from the father desperately trying to find his way backwards and the past of his son meandering forward. The two different paces of this story within the book is very well written and was one of my favourite aspects. I wouldn't describe this book as an action thriller or even a murder mystery although there are elements of violence and crime in the book. I would highly recommend this book to anyone and I am thinking of actually buying the book to add to my collection 

Have you read this book? What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment