Saturday 30 March 2013

Saturday Night Cooking

I love to cook, I am not the best chef and things go wrong all the time. I am better than one of my best friends (mentioning no names) who has won the title of worst meal that I have ever eaten which included Quorn bacon (I'm not a vegetarian), mashed potato that still had raw lumps in it and cold Baked Beans. She convinced her current boyfriend that she was a good cook by buying finest ready meals, putting them in her own saucepans and passing them off as her own. They are moving in together next month so I'm not sure how long this is going to last but its obviously worked so far!!

Tonight I cooked Prawn & Pea Rissotto and an Apple & Plum Crumble for dessert. I thought I'd share with you the recipe for both (some of the measurements will be a bit lacking, I'm a bit of a throw it in and hope kind of cook which has lead to some of more prominent cooking disasters)




The final dish...


PRAWN & PEA RISSOTTO - SERVES 4

Finely chop one white onion and fry in a large saucepan with a knob of butter (I used margarine as I don't often have butter in the house). Once translucent and soft add 350g of Arborio rice and mix thoroughly. Add one large glass of any white wine and evaporate.

Once all the wine has evaporated, keep adding chicken stock by the ladle until this too has been absorbed by the rice. Keep stirring making sure that the rice doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan (if it does don't be too hard on yourself, mine did - I was too busy checking my Instagram!!) I used two Tesco finest Chicken stock concentrate pots which I added boiling water to - this was really nice but quite expensive at £2 per pot! 

Once you have used nearly all your stock and your rice is nearly cooked to your taste, then add a couple of handfuls of frozen peas and mix through. After a couple of minutes, stir through some ready cooked chilled prawns. Once these are warmed through, serve!

APPLE & PLUM CRUMBLE - SERVES 6

Peel and dice one cooking apple and add to a saucepan with some dark brown muscavado sugar and a bit of water. Cook down until the apples are soft and leave to cool.

Destone and slice approximately 8 plums and add to the cooking apple. Peel and slice 2 eating apples and add these to the other fruit. Mix these together with some granulated sugar (the amount depends upon the sweetness of your fruit) and add to a casserole dish.

Now for the crumble mix. Add 100g each of caster sugar, plain flour, porridge oats and butter (once again I used margarine) and rub together into large crumbs. Pour this over the top of the fruit mixture and put into a hot oven for approximately half an hour. Serve with ice cream or custard or by itself.




Hope you enjoyed this and if you need any help then please contact me and I'll be willing to help xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment